I had a chance to make some sugar cookies as party favours for my school reunion this past Saturday (you don’t want to know my graduation year!!) and got a lot of compliments on these sweet pastel flowers. So, I’d just like to share with you the easy way to change the simple round-shaped sugar cookies into cute pastel flowers.
Let’s start with the Royal Icing ingredients and how-to.
Royal Icing Ingredients:
- 2 tbs. of egg white powder
- 90 ml. of warm water
- 1/4 tsp. of lemon juice
- 1 lb. of icing sugar
How to make Royal Icing:
- Beat the egg white powder and icing sugar until well blended.
- Slowly add water and lemon juice and beat at high speed until thick and glossy (about 6-8 mins).
- Divide the icing into at least 2 parts and put them in 2 separate bowls. Add one colour that you want as the flower petals (let’s say pink) into one bowl and yellow colour to the other. Add the food colour little by little and stir it into the icing until you get the exact colour that you want.
How to decorate the cookies:
- Put the coloured icing into piping bags with piping head number 2.
- Use the pink icing to draw the flower shape onto the round-shaped cookies. Leave to dry for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dilute the pink icing left from the drawing by adding about 1 tablespoon of water at a time until you get runny-but-still-thick texture.
- Put the diluted royal icing back in the piping bag and pipe an amount of icing inside the flower line just enough to spread and fill the flower shape.
- Use a toothpick or small spatula to spread the icing to fill the flower shape. Let dry for 5-10 minutes. It will take a bit longer for the diluted icing to dry as it contains more water.
- Use the yellow icing to draw the circle in the center of the flower. Leave to dry for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dilute the yellow icing in the same way as the pink one.
- Pipe the diluted yellow icing inside the circle and spread to fill the circle. Leave to dry completely and keep in airtight container.
There you’ll have the cute little pastel cookies for your party. Try make some if you’d like and please please please share the photos of your lovely cookies with me. Enjoy! 😀